"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016
Volume ∞ Issue ∞

Feedlot Korner

Fri, May 27th, 2011
Posted in Agriculture

Due to the recent damage on area farms a question has come up for discussion. "What can or can't I bury on my farm?"

As of July 1st, 2011, Section 6, Minnesota Statute 2010, section 17.135 will be in effect:

A permit is not required for farming landowners/operators and bury or burn:

• Solid waste generated from the person's household or as part of the person's farming operation; or

• Concrete or reinforcing bar from a building or structure located on the land used for farming.

Items must be buried in a nuisance-free, pollution-free, and aesthetic manner on the land used for farming. This does not apply to burning tires or plastics, except plastic baling twine, or to burning or burial of the following materials: household hazardous waste as defined in section 115A.96: appliances, including but not limited to, major appliances as defined in section 115A.03: household batteries; used motor oil; and lead acid batteries from motor vehicles.

Within 90 days after completion of the burial, an owner of land used for farming who buries the above materials, shall record, with the County Recorder of titles of the County in which the land is located, an affidavit containing a legal description of the property and a map drawn from available information showing the boundary of the property and the location of concrete or reinforcing bar buried on the property. The County Recorder must record an affidavit presented under this paragraph in a manner that ensures its disclosure in the ordinary course of a title search of the subject property.

No Comments Yet. Be the first to comment!

Your comment submission is also an acknowledgement that this information may be reprinted in other formats such as the newspaper.