"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 1:48:35, Jan 28th 2015 - Harmony Rocks - Whatever....I drove behind the school the other night, and watched a ... [Read More]
- 7:13:43, Jan 27th 2015 - state medalist - Yes u r right penny4for your thoughts....good sportsmanship, that's ... [Read More]
- 8:08:51, Jan 26th 2015 - REDHORSE51 - COACH VIX? NOTHING BUT A CLASS ACT! CONGRATULATIONS AND MANY MORE. ... [Read More]
- 8:35:52, Jan 26th 2015 - doc - Great. Now to get more antiques in there. ... [Read More]
- 6:25:24, Jan 26th 2015 - neighbor - Who do u think you are...fountain farmer....seen your other posts you seem ... [Read More]
- 6:23:31, Jan 26th 2015 - whatever - Fountain farmer because the cops don't care. And want to show how disrespe ... [Read More]
- 1:46:02, Jan 25th 2015 - FountainFarmer - whatever and neighbor, what do you think you're trying to accomplish ... [Read More]
- 1:45:40, Jan 24th 2015 - penny4yourthoughts - Or MAYBE people should accept the fact that you can't always win ... [Read More]
- 11:30:37, Jan 24th 2015 - neighbor - Fountainfarmer....residents of this street have taken it to the city coun ... [Read More]
- 2:04:25, Jan 23rd 2015 - FountainFarmer - whatever seems like the type of person who will rant and rave on new ... [Read More]
Fri, Aug 26th, 2005
Posted in Commentary
Posted in Commentary
You’ve probably heard of the row caused by tele-evangelist Pat Robertson’s recent remarks on the 700 Club that the US should whack - to use the vernacular of Tony Soprano - as in, knock off, pop, erase, kill - Venezuela’s president Hugo Chavez.
“You know, I don’t know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we’re trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It’s a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don’t think any oil shipments will stop,” Robertson said on his television program. This from one of the prominent religious leaders that helped elect President Bush in 2004. The so-called Moral Values demographic, that group of people who don’t mind acting un-Christian as long as they pray about it in advance. This isn’t Robertson’s first time to create controversy. His regular pitch in selling Jesus is to send a message of fear and hate. Here are a few more of Robertson’s religious moments: •“Many of those people involved with Adolph Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals - the two things that go together.” •(Planned Parenthood) “It is teaching kids to fornicate, teaching people to have adultery, every kind of bestiality, homosexuality, lesbianism - everything that the bible condemns.” •“I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that’s the way it is, period.” •“The feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” •“I think ‘one man, one vote,’ just unrestricted democracy, would not be wise. There needs to be some kind of protection for the minority which the white people represent now, a minority, and they need and have a right to demand a protection of their rights.” Okay, enough you say, after all, ol’ Patto did apologize a few days later. But if you look hard at Robertson’s message, it is not about Christian love. The poet Carl Sandburg said it best in his book “Chicago Poems” in a poem entitled “To A Contemporary Bunkshooter” calling evangelists “bug-house peddlers of second-hand gospel shoving out a phoney imitation of the goods this Jesus wanted as free as air and sunlight.” You come along tearing your shirt yelling about Jesus. Where do you get this stuff? What do you know about Jesus?... When you make your living selling Jesus on TV anything goes, even whacking world leaders.