"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:08:51, Jan 26th 2015 - REDHORSE51 - COACH VIX? NOTHING BUT A CLASS ACT! CONGRATULATIONS AND MANY MORE. ... [Read More]
- 8:35:52, Jan 26th 2015 - doc - Great. Now to get more antiques in there. ... [Read More]
- 6:25:24, Jan 26th 2015 - neighbor - Who do u think you are...fountain farmer....seen your other posts you seem ... [Read More]
- 6:23:31, Jan 26th 2015 - whatever - Fountain farmer because the cops don't care. And want to show how disrespe ... [Read More]
- 1:46:02, Jan 25th 2015 - FountainFarmer - whatever and neighbor, what do you think you're trying to accomplish ... [Read More]
- 1:45:40, Jan 24th 2015 - penny4yourthoughts - Or MAYBE people should accept the fact that you can't always win ... [Read More]
- 11:30:37, Jan 24th 2015 - neighbor - Fountainfarmer....residents of this street have taken it to the city coun ... [Read More]
- 2:04:25, Jan 23rd 2015 - FountainFarmer - whatever seems like the type of person who will rant and rave on new ... [Read More]
- 1:39:29, Jan 23rd 2015 - Two dogs - or maybe FC should recruit some better athletes or get ones that like to w ... [Read More]
- 12:47:28, Jan 23rd 2015 - Duh - whatever--- you should probably realize that a Chamber of Commerce has NOTHING ... [Read More]
Fri, Feb 24th, 2006
Posted in Commentary
Posted in Commentary
In today’s mail I received a 2006 Legislative Survey from Representative Greg Davids who says he appreciates my opinion. Let’s hope he appreciates this.
1.Would you support an effort to use a portion of Minnesota’s budget surplus to give property relief to Minnesota residents? No, Greg! I would support fair property taxation and legislators, such as yourself, spending the money we’ve already sent you as prudently as you can. Then you won’t have to come back year after year and raise the values on our properties all the while claiming you’re not raising taxes. We’re on to it! 2.Do you support legislation requiring that school districts target 70 percent of their funding to the classroom? No, they are already confused enough. Cut the red tape, bureaucracy, and 700 metric tons of reports and paperwork the state requires on a daily basis. Then they might have time and money for the classroom. 3.Do you support measures to provide tax credits to assist immigrants toward becoming citizens? No. Paying taxes is as American as it gets. Like most other Americans, if they want it they have to pay for it. Might as well get used to it right away. 4.Do you support measures to bond (borrow) money or increase taxes to build and maintain roads? No. You have enough money. Quit spending it on bureaucracy and management and start spending it on what it was intended for. Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Good advice for politicians. 5.The federal Clean Water Act requires Minnesota to improve the surface water quality. Would you approve a water fee on homes and businesses to fund the $80 million state clean up program? No. Divert the $79 million you currently spend on “integration” programs for Minnesota schools. This isn’t the deep south. If a child lives in the district, he goes to school in the district unless he or she picks up the tab to go elsewhere. 6.Would you vote to limit Minnesota’s definition of marriage to only between one man and one woman? No. Any man who wants more than one wife doesn’t need a vote, he needs his head examined. What kind of stupid question is that anyway, and how does interfering in a person’s “personal business” help fix the highways, fund education, or remove Minnesota from the top five taxed states in the country? 7.Do you support laws that would limit the power of the state and local governments have to seize property for others private use? YES. But you guys IN government gave yourselves this right in the first place. Repeal that “pink - o - commie” law and move on. 8.Do you support the Twins most recent stadium proposal, where the cost would be paid by a sales tax increase in Hennepin County only and no state funds are involved? Sounds like a Hennepin County question. Do you represent Hennepin county now? The state has too many other priorities to address before teaming up with the Twins. I thought they won two world series in the Metro Dome? Why mess with success? If you want a stadium use your money and leave mine alone. 9.Do you support new stadiums for (check all that apply): Twins? No see previous answer. Vikings? Same deal as the Twins. Gophers? I didn’t know the Metro Dome had em’. Call Orkin! You were elected to oversee the running of the state. If you support new stadiums then every Minnesotan who pays taxes had better see some free tickets in their next state tax mailing. 10.To promote more widespread use of E85, would you support the state subsidizing the installation of E85 pumps throughout Minnesota? Hey there Big Dog, we already do! I think the oil companies made enough profits this past year to put their own pumps in. What is it with politicians and subsidies? Can’t the free market system survive anymore? Capitalism works better than socialism. Didn’t you get the memo? I’m still a dyed in the wool conservative, but I am not a “kool aid” drinker. I don’t care which side of the political aisle you’re standing on. You have a responsibility to every taxpayer to protect and spend wisely their hard earned money which they have entrusted to your care. Nothing in this Legislative Survey inspires much confidence. It appears legislators perceive the money we send them as nothing more than numbers. Every citizen who cashes his or her pay check understands full well money represents the limits of their resources and to some extent affects the quality of their lives. Anyone in elected office would do a service to their constituents if they remember this as well. Bruce Langseth lives in Houston, Minn.