"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Wednesday, July 29th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 6:30:33, Jul 28th 2015 - REDHORSE51 - 999 OUT OF 1,00 TIMES I USUALLY DISAGREE OR FIND FAULT WITH YOUR COMMENT ... [Read More]
- 8:53:21, Jul 28th 2015 - CARON - I wish I would have known Jeanie. I've thought of you and Janet often over t ... [Read More]
- 12:01:31, Jul 27th 2015 - What - "Dear Mr. Wentworth, My knowledge also comes from hiking throughout the Unit ... [Read More]
- 11:25:05, Jul 27th 2015 - LOLZ - I think we're done here. ... [Read More]
- 9:58:11, Jul 26th 2015 - Paul - Dear Mr. Wentworth, My knowledge also comes from hiking throughout the United ... [Read More]
- 2:04:57, Jul 25th 2015 - chris - Just like they didn't plant cougars, bear, wolves, wild turkeys and who knows ... [Read More]
- 7:20:23, Jul 25th 2015 - LOLZ - Maybe we won't get any snow next winter. Might as well worry about it in July ... [Read More]
- 6:22:03, Jul 22nd 2015 - Let's see - And the big piles they make in middle of roads that u have to drive up an ... [Read More]
- 10:55:05, Jul 21st 2015 - BareMinimum - Maybe now side streets can get plowed! Sick of the terrible condition ... [Read More]
- 10:03:19, Jul 20th 2015 - Kim Wentworth - @Paul and the song writer- forgot your spellcheck / the glaciers and ... [Read More]
Fri, Jun 9th, 2006
Posted in Commentary
Posted in Commentary
It is the War on Queers clear and simple. Sounds ugly doesn’t it, in a white supremacist kind of way, with all of its shaved-head, boot-stomping racism. And if I have made you angry by using the pejorative, queer, then good. You and everyone in this country should be outraged about this Swift Boat style smoke and mirrors approach to leadership. Like the flim-flam game three card Monty, George Bush wants you to keep your eyes on same-sex marriage and not on the War in Iraq, the deficit, domestic spying or the plethora of other problems facing our government.
Isn’t it funny that when politicians want you to forget about the real problems at hand they hoist up a couple of foul sure-to-divide-us issues and play it up as if the world is going to hell in a hand basket and if we don’t act now all kinds of bad things will happen to us as a people, nation, and civilization. So, with no exit plan for Iraq in place, a hurricane season ready to test a “new and improved” Department of Homeland Security, and a public woefully tired of this President and the Republican controlled Congress, Bush rallied his conservative base on national TV a week ago by urging passage of legislation for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. With little chance for passage, the initiative became nothing more than a rallying point for the Christian right to get out the vote in November. What better way than a little War on Queers to get the party faithful out door knocking? “Marriage is the most fundamental institution of civilization, and it should not be defined by activist judges,” President George Bush said last week. Should a president who has started a preemptive war based on false information really be talking about the fundamental institutions of civilization?” Everything in this regime is a war on something - civility, common sense, honesty - so, why not queers? At a time when his approval numbers have reached an all time low of 29%, amid fears that the President will drag down the Republican party in November, Bush needed a hot button smear issue to divert the public’s attention away from the incompetency of his administration. The Republican right’s continued assault on gays conjures up reminders of the federal socialism of Germany in the 1930’s as little by little groups were scapegoated, isolated and removed. The poem by Rev. Martin Niemoller, a Protestant minister in Nazi Germany, stands as witness to the victimization of people everywhere - regardless of race, gender, nationality or sexual preference. When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent; I was not a communist. When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat. When they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out; I was not a trade unionist. When they came for the Jews, I did not speak out; I was not a Jew. When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out. So for my nephew A and my friends, M and A and B and D and R and L and S, I am speaking out. George Bush, for all the reports of his being a Christian man, sadly lacks the fundamentals of Christianity - love and understanding. No wonder he acts the way he does. PS The Senate on Wednesday rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. The matter will not be on the ballot in November.