Have you heard about The Locker in Chatfield, Minn.?
If you head down Main Street (Hwy. 52) in Chatfield and turn at the corner by Hangman Blinds onto 2nd Street SW, you’ll see a long-time business known as R Four Meats. Right next door is The Locker — an extension of R Four Meats. This business has been in the Reiner family since 1997.
In January of 2020, we published a story about R Four Meats offering box lunches out of their retail location known as The Locker. These box lunches deserve another mention, because I’d highly recommend that you stop by and try their different options.
Here are the five to choose from.
1. House ham/smoked turkey with herb mayo, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on 12 grain bread.
2. Roast beef with horseradish mayo and smoked gouda on 12 grain bread.
3. House ham, salami and bologna with mayo, provolone, and spinach on 12 grain bread.
4. Pastrami with coleslaw and baby Swiss on marble rye.
5. Smoked turkey with cranberry cream cheese, havarti, and lettuce on 12 grain bread.
I’ve tried all of them but number four, so I’ll have to pay a visit again for that one.
Along with the delicious sandwich, you’ll get a cookie, bag of chips, pickle and bottled water.
Great food. Great price. You can’t beat it. And, when you stop by The Locker, you’ll be greeted by Margaret and Connie — always smiling and friendly!
And, after I pick up my box lunch at The Locker, I always go to the Chatfield City Park, one of the nicest parks in our region.
Some people might be surprised to learn that the City of Chatfield has 64 acres of parkland (random trivia). Chatfieldians are very mindful of green space, which I think is a selling point for residents and tourists alike.