By Jason Sethre
Fillmore County Journal
In the past, I’ve shared a message about the needs of our local food shelves, but that usually doesn’t happen until around Thanksgiving.
At a recent Preston Area Chamber of Commerce meeting, one of our chamber members who is very active with volunteering for many organizations shared that she was helping out at the Preston Food Shelf and said that she had never seen the shelves so bare.
Along with increased gas prices, the cost of food has risen so much that the food shelves are seeing more demand. Inflation is hitting everyone in some way.
Right now, your local food shelf can use your help if you can lend a hand. Whether you are able to donate food or money (for the purchase of food), it will be appreciated by your friends and neighbors who need your help.
I have included a list of local food shelf locations with times they are open for your convenience.
Thank you for helping out when you can.
• Chatfield Community Food Shelf, Tuesday 6-7:30 p.m. and Friday 9-10:30 a.m. Chatfield United Methodist Church, 124 Winona St. SE. (507) 867-3529
• Grand Meadow Food Shelf, 2nd and 4th Monday 4:30-6 p.m. 209 2nd Ave. NE. (507) 481-7543
• Houston County Food Shelf, Tuesday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-6 p.m., and Thursday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-4 p.m. 138 E. Main St., Caledonia. (507) 725-3677
•La Crescent Food Shelf, Wednesday 1-5 p.m., Thursday 2 6 p.m., and 2nd Saturday 9 a.m. – 12p.m. 436 S. 6th St., La Crescent. (507) 895-1115
•LeRoy Area Food Shelf, 1st, 3rd and 4th Saturday 8:30-10:30 a.m., and 2nd and 4th Wednesday 6:30-7:30 p.m. 390 W. Main St. (507) 440-3942
• Mabel Food Shelf, 3rd Saturday 10 a.m.-12 p.m., and 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th Thursday 5-7 p.m. First Lutheran Church, 2nd floor, 202 N.Oak. (507) 493-5783
• Preston Food Shelf, Tuesday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-6 p.m., and Thursday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1-4 p.m. 515 Washington St. NW. (507) 765-2761
• Rushford Food Shelf, Tuesday and Thursday 9-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-4 p.m. Tenborg Building, 113 E. Jessie St. (507) 864-8224
• Spring Valley Area Food Shelf, Wednesday 2-4 p.m., and Saturday 9-11 a.m. 102 E. Jefferson. (507) 346-7367
•Wykoff – St. Johns Food Shelf, 3rd Saturday 9-10:30 a.m. 241 Line St. S. (507) 352-2296
Leave a Reply