OFFICIAL MINUTES OF REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING (WORK SESSION) OF INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #2137 – May 4, 2020.
Please Note: Due to COVID-19, the board chair and superintendent will conduct teleconferencing with the remaining five (5) board members to mitigate exposure to COVID-19. Minnesota School Boards Association provided the following guidance (http://www.mnmsba.org/COVID-19/MeetingsByConferenceCall):
On Friday, March 13, Gov. Walz issued Executive Order 20-01, which declared a peacetime state of emergency pursuant to his powers under Minnesota Statutes Chapter 12: Emergency Management. This step allows school boards to meet by conference call or other electronic means under Minnesota Statutes 13D.021.
The following conditions must be met for the board to meet by conference call:
1. The “presiding officer, chief legal counsel, or chief administrative officer” of the school board “determines that an in-person meeting…is not practical or prudent because of a health pandemic or an officially-declared emergency”;
2. All school board members can hear one another and hear all discussion;
3. The public present at the regular meeting location can hear all discussion and all votes, unless attendance at the regular meeting location is not feasible due to the health pandemic or emergency declaration;
4. At least one member of the school board, chief legal counsel, or chief administrative officer is physically present at the regular meeting location, unless unfeasible due to the health pandemic or emergency declaration; and
5. All votes are recorded by roll call (Minnesota Statutes 13D.021).
Note that items three and four have a disclaimer for a health pandemic.
A duly posted regular meeting (work session) of the Board of Education, Independent School District No. 2137 was held in the high school conference room on Monday, May 4, 2020.
Board Chair Jackie Horsman called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Board chair, Jackie Horsman, and superintendent, Jim Hecimovich, were present in the high school conference room. Present (teleconferencing): Maranda Emig, Noella Lund, Kyle Rader, Natasha Howard and Tiffany Mundfrom. Also, in attendance was Elementary Principal Scott Klavetter, and Building & Grounds Director, Jason Thompson.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Policy Review: First reading (scheduled) included 501, 502, 503 and 505. First reading (annual) included 410, 413, 414, 415, 506, 514, 522, 524, 616 and 806. Second readings included 422, 423, 424 and 425.
Staffing Updates: Hire Jonathan Miller – K-12 Vocal Music. Awaiting confirmation to hire Connie Morger – Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent. Resigning Reid Olson – Activities Director and Eric Mundfrom – Jr. High Football Coach.
Reports: There were no Student Reports. PK-6 Principal – Scott Klavetter submitted a written report; Building and Grounds Director – Jason Thompson submitted an oral report; Mr. Hecimovich submitted a written report; Business Manager – Amber Uhlenhake submitted a written report.
Old Business: Klavetter and Hecimovich reported on extension of distance learning; Hecimovich reported the district’s inability to host activities until in-person school resumes. Hecimovich also updated the number of meals currently being served.
New Business: The names of the Class of 2020 Graduates will be brought to the regular board meeting on May 18, 2020 for approval. Emig made a motion to modify (shorten by 1-week) the current academic calendar. Howard seconded. Motion carried unanimously (roll call).
Community Outreach and Engagement: Website discussion was tabled until the Governor’s stay at home order is lifted.
Howard moved to adjourn the meeting. Rader seconded. Motion carried unanimously (roll call). The meeting adjourned at 7:06 p.m.
-The next regular meeting will be held on Monday, May 18, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school conference room (teleconferencing).
– The next regular meeting (work session) will be held on Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in the high school conference room (teleconferencing).