Letterwerks Sign City
 
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Online Edition
Monday, March 30th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
 
<< | < | 3179 | 3180 | 3181 | 3182 | 3183 | > | >>

Council struggles with Coffee Street Bridge project


Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in


By John TorgrimsonMonday, October 22, 2001

The Lanesboro City Council wasnt sure it was ready to make a long-term commitment to the Coffee Street Walking Bridge project at their Monday, October 15 meeting. With an estimated price tag of $251,595, of which the citys costs would be $91,919, the council finds itself in the position of potentially borrowing money or issuing general obligation bonds to raise their share of the project money. And if they do go ahead with bonding, the matter would have to be put before the public in a referendum. This raised the question as to how much public support there was for the project in the first place.

Built in 1893, the Coffee Street Bridge links the downtown of Lanesboro to the ball field area across the river. The project would repair the bridge which includes replacing railings, corroded beams and bridge decking. Two big ticket items include replacing the east approach span ($32,000) and relocating the water main ($35,000). The bridge would be used as a pedestrian access from the ballfield and the Bass Pond Parking Lot to the downtown.

Al King, an engineer with WHKS & Co., told the council that time is running out if they hope to meet the April 2002 deadline to use up to $177,760 in ICE TEA funds already allocated for the project. The ICE TEA money would cover 80% of construction. The city would have to cover the remaining 20%, as well as 100% of the engineering.

King said that the city would need to move ahead with Phase II as soon as possible if they plan on meeting the deadline. Phase II engineering, which would cost $3,000, would complete required bridge certification as mandated by state statue. King said it would take approximately two months to complete.

There was considerable discussion about ways to finance the citys share, as well as the long term benefits of the project. Council member Hal Cropp said that the project costs should be spread over a few years time as the benefits to the city are in the future. Calling the project an economic development project, Cropp said that it wold make the downtown river front more attractive.

Council member Peggy Hanson agreed.

It would reduce congestion downtown, Hanson said, referring to pedestrian traffic from the Bass Pond Parking Lot. It would make things safer.

Council member John Dollar moved the issue forward by suggesting that the city might want to proceed with Phase II engine .....
[Read the Rest]
Foods Weekly Ads

Former county commisioner gives input

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

By Mike McGrathThe fourth Tuesday meeting of the county board always includes a time for citizen input. Last Tuesday saw former 4th District Commissioner Robert Thompson come before the board to offer his advice on the sale of the County Farm and the ..... 
[Read the Rest]

In search of the lost village of Carimona

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

By Mary JergensonMonday, November 5, 2001

The dirt roads and the dense thicket that surround Carimona today seem stark in contrast to the hustle and bustle that the once thriving community enjoyed. Today Carimona is nothing more than a few hou ..... 
[Read the Rest]

NORSTAD CONSTRUCTION

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

New Homes Remodeling Additions
Poured Basement Walls Driveways Retaining Walls
Agriculture Horse Barns Riding Arenas


Fill, Sand, Black Dirt, Landscaping, Lite Excavation


We offer a plan service ..... 
[Read the Rest]

Our Gift Shop

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

Features:
Locally made Amish Quilts, Dolls, Baskets & Furniture
Amish Pantry Spices, Mustards, Bread Mixes & Soups
Beaumont Brothers Pottery
Fall Pumpkins, Apples & Scarecrows
Tapestry Wallhangings
Bell Pul ..... 
[Read the Rest]

Welcome to Bluff Country's Finest Family Campground

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

SUPERSAW VALLEY CAMPGROUND
Deep in the heart of picturesque Bluff Country, welcome to Supersaw Valley Campground, southeastern Minnesotas scenic family camping area.

Come discover 185 acres of lush, bountifu ..... 
[Read the Rest]

Journal Profile #84

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

Name: Ellen Collett
Home: Preston, MN
Age: 54
Profession: Homemaker/Daycare
Family: Husband Dave, three daughters, two sons, and six grandchildren
Personal Hero: My mother
Hobbies: Se ..... 
[Read the Rest]

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

Fri, Nov 2nd, 2001
Posted in

<< | < | 3179 | 3180 | 3181 | 3182 | 3183 | > | >>
Studio A Photography