By Carol Thouin Monday, April 2, 2001
A drive past Jefferson Street near the heart of Spring Valley's downtown may just cause a double take these days. The familiar gray building on the corner of Washington and Jefferson
[Read the Rest]
"Where Fillmore County News Comes First"
Sunday, May 24th, 2015
Volume ∞ Issue ∞
- 8:53:13, May 24th 2015 - Greg Rendahl - Jason, while you certainly make some good points in your opinion piece ... [Read More]
- 4:56:30, May 22nd 2015 - Shame on you - "A gun is an instrument of death. It is designed for one purpose, to k ... [Read More]
- 1:35:20, May 22nd 2015 - Michael - As a Navy veteran I salute Ron Scheevel for his service and sacrifice in Vi ... [Read More]
- 12:48:16, May 22nd 2015 - Kim Wentworth - a couple of points in response. the NRA has had a long history in gu ... [Read More]
- 11:57:35, May 22nd 2015 - RogerClegg - Re felon voting: Glad this bill failed. If you arenâ€™t willing to fo ... [Read More]
- 12:15:00, May 20th 2015 - Shorty - Makes me feel pretty old when I read about people I knew. I would like to ... [Read More]
- 11:34:36, May 20th 2015 - SV80 - To Future: I can empathize with your regarding Hawkeye63. He exhibits all t ... [Read More]
- 12:49:06, May 19th 2015 - future - @Hawkeye63 My entire argument has been based on legal civil rights argument ... [Read More]
- 7:22:50, May 19th 2015 - hawkeye63 - There you have it fellow citizens, I sure hope America is paying attentio ... [Read More]
- 6:06:44, May 18th 2015 - Redhorse51 - Thank you for a great read. Like an addicting mini-series, I could not ... [Read More]
By John TorgrimsonMonday, April 2, 2001
In a meeting shortened so that the county board could take some time out to honor county employees for their years of service, Fillmore County Board Chair Helen Bicknese moved through an abbreviated agenda in quick fashion last Tuesday. Here are the highlites of the meeting.
Dust control It might be hard for rural residents living on unpaved county roads to visualize dusty roads in these last days of winter, nonetheless the county board was a bit surprised that no one had signed up to take part in the county sponsored dust control program. So surprised in fact that the board extended the sign up period an additional week to April 6. For more information, the public is invited to call the Fillmore County Highway Department.
Engineer Vacancy Also receiving little attention is the soon to be vacated Fillmore County Highway Engineer position. Readers may recall that present county engineer Steve Voigt’s contract will not be renewed by the board when it expires on May 14. The county board voted to extend the application period from March 23 to April 30. County Coordinator Karen Brown told the board that by expanding the application deadline, it will allow the county to expand their pool of candidates.
Commissioner Marc Prestby asked whether it would be too late to have someone in before the present engineer leaves. Brown replied that the Deputy Engineer is in place and that the county can ask County Engineers in other counties to sign off on necessary documents. Stay tuned.
Bridge Replacements The board tabled a resolution to update the county’s bridge replacement list that will be sent to the state until next week so that the board will have a chance to review the list in more detail.
Highway Engineer Steve Voigt said that the bridge replacement list includes those bridges requested for replacement by townships.
Commissioner Duane Bakke questioned whether the list included all the bridges, as he believed that some bridges were missing from some townships in his district.
Voigt said that it wouldn’t hurt to have every bridge in the county on the list "so that we don’t cut ourselves out of funding".
Bakke said that he understood why were doing this, but wanted another week to make sure that we had them (bridges) all in.
Citizen Input Commissioner Bicknese raised the question of whether the county board should .....
[Read the Rest]
Come discover 185 acres of lush, bountifu .....
[Read the Rest]
FOOT OF BED
©Maxxximum MadcapWeekly cartoon, Max, Maxxx, Maxxximum, Madcap, food for thought, fud 4 thot