A “mini grant” program has been continued for the 20th straight year by F & M Community Bank in Preston, First State Bank of Fountain and First Southeast Bank in Harmony for the Fillmore Central School District.
Grants of up to $500 each have been made available to classroom teachers for the 2017/2018 school year so they can implement a variety of innovative ideas and projects where funding is not always readily available. The goals of this program include funding projects where other means are not available and making it as easy and simple as possible.
Since it began for the 1996/1997 school year, the banks have pledged over $204,400 in the form of “mini grants.” When the program began, the banks pledged $ 7,650 toward the program. As interest increased in obtaining funds, the banks made additional monies available so that $ 10,500 is now available through the “mini grant” program.
This year the faculty submitted 44 grant requests. Some examples of the requests approved by the committee are:
• Educational field trips.
• Reading level books, novels, science, social studies and Spanish books.
• Mathematical, writing, science, social studies, welding, art, reading and Spanish materials.
• Annual subscription for IXL web based math program
• Interactive software for iPad apps and reading curriculum.
• Materials for Vocabulary Spelling City
• Subscription to www.morestarfall.com, a website used daily in kindergarten for letter sounds, decoding words, counting, sorting, symmetry, measurement, addition & subtraction
• Funds for an opera artist for the “Think Like an Artist” program.
• Materials for Falcon Fun Day and “I Love to Read” program
There have been many other classes, equipment, travel expenses, etc. funded by the “mini grant” program over the past 20 years. Hopefully it has helped the Fillmore Central School faculty as they provide the very best learning opportunities and experiences for our children!