Saturday, October 25th, 2014

Comments:

11:54:29, Jul 11th 2014

resident says:
Way to go Mr. Mensink, somebody is going to start holding the city council accountable for their actions and decisions!! Thank you!

12:50:48, Jul 11th 2014

Brody Mensink says:
Special meetings may be called by the mayor or by any two members of a
five member council or three members of a seven member council. Special
meetings are called by filing a written statement with the city clerk.

Thank you for keeping the citizens of Wykoff informed, myself and many others appreciate it very much.

12:51:30, Jul 11th 2014

I may move back. says:
I wanted to give a huge Kudos to Brody Mensink. If more people had a backbone, and spoke with Facts, not just feelings, and opinions...I believe the right choices for any community would be made! I hope there are more supporters for this man.

3:57:57, Jul 11th 2014

Enough already! says:
Really pats on the back and kudos to you! For having a back bone Mr. Mensink??? Really Kudos to our council for standing up and protecting our town!! All over Lyman Hare! Lol! Really can't wait for his dirty laundry to be hung on the public clothes line for all to see you may have a different opinion of him. Lets remember he resigned. Apparently he is used to running when he gets caught. If he truly did no wrong and he has why did he quit. Why did he want to spend 25-35 thousand of our tax payers $$ for fire sirens when it only cost $200-$300 to repair the broken one? Was it because he wants the one removed by his place so he can build a garage?? This isn't the first public council to have issues with him. It's an enough already let's get back to business and stop this childish behavior!

4:53:53, Jul 11th 2014

to old to run for office says:
I do not believe this is all over Mr. Hare, Mr. Mensink is just pointing out that a city council has rules and that the people in charge of our city should know them and run the city council legally.

4:54:56, Jul 11th 2014

Making it worse says:
"Why did he want to spend 25-35 thousand of our tax payers $$ for fire sirens when it only cost $200-$300 to repair the broken one?"

"A new siren doesn't cost $25,000. That quote is actually for two sirens, but the best siren everyone is using is about $19,000"-Beck

Under researched, uneducated comment.

12:12:24, Jul 12th 2014

Enough already says:
I am proud that Mr. Mensink is taking an initiative and is willing and wanting to learn. More people should have that same initiative. I also hope that he is willing to except the errors of misreading and misinterpreting that all of us come upon throughout our lives. Not saying he is wrong nor am I saying council is wrong because I honestly have no clue of the rules. As for warning sirens may it be $19,0000 for 1. My question is still unanswered. Why spend thousands when it's only $200-$300 to fix? Mr. Mensink I hope you run for council in the fall your initiative to learn is great and I believe being a council person would help with that and learning the other side of the fence with people pointing and asking questions of your decisions you make. I do not believe being a council person or mayor is an easy job for anyone lets move on and put Wykoff back in the news for positive things instead of making it a laughing stock for other communities.

1:32:06, Jul 12th 2014

Get over it. says:
I want to say two things, No one asked the Mayor to resign, a vote of no confidence was given so that those persons/ city could be protected from a potential lawsuit. Second, The Mensinks, and Rowes, are friends of the Hare family so of course they are going to be on his side and try to undermine everything. Last I would like to say to the clique of the former Mayor and to Mr Hare, please calm down your friends, no one asked for your resignation, but to have these people tell the kids of Ms Larson they are going to run her out of town is beyond, I say beyond necessary. And to Mr WE Woy Wowe, or should I say Leroy Rowe, GROW UP!!! You are acting like a little kid when you sit there and flip off council members when you see them. I better see everyone of your names on the ballot next time then. Otherwise sit back and back off. These people are not being paid and do these things on their own time so you can have a city to be enjoyed by all.

1:54:29, Jul 12th 2014

sirens says:
A city the size of Wykoff realistically should only need one siren placed in the yard of the community center and be rotating. I grew up in Wykoff and the closest siren in my town I live in now is further away from my house than the city of Wykoff is in square mileage. It is over a mile away and rotates and I hear it fine. I tend to believe that Mr Hare probably did seek the one in his backyard be removed, however whose property does it belong to, is it easement, utility easement, or city property. If so he should have to follow all variances before pulling a permit anyway.

I have sat back and watched the several comments and heard of all the childish behavior going on from Mr Hare's closest friends. I would only ask that they realize Mr Hare resigned on his own, he was not asked to resign, just called out on one matter. If Mr Hare is as outstanding as his friends make him out to be, and let me say this, I always thought of Lyman and the Hare's an outstanding bunch of people, please just back off from the slander you persons are creating. No need to flip off council persons, or tell their children you are going to run them out of town, that is all childish behavior from you adults. Respect the meeting rules, they are there to keep order and flow in meetings, I sit on a board in my town, if we allowed everyone to go on and on and on, we'd never get through our meetings, which then is counter productive.
An election is coming up, I invite all of you friends of Lyman to get your names on the ballot, and be ready to take the lashings of a voluntary job. In my opinion it isn't worth it. You select few persons have made Wykoff a laughing stock, however it is clearly obvious those of you complaining all sit down to holiday dinners with the mayor who resigned. Wykoff is a small town, decisions are hard to make when you all know each other and that is why I would not envy anyone to be on a government of such a small town. Give these council people a break, they are looking out for the best interest of the city. A city most of them grew up in and have never left at all.

9:49:34, Jul 12th 2014

Why says:
I don't think it is all about Lyman. It is about getting the council to follow the rules, for once. I agree there should be no personal attacks if that is even happening. I also agree people have a right to question public officials. A vote of no confidence does not protect the city from lawsuits either, if that was the case every city that made a mistake would have the vote and say "we are covered now, no need for a city attorney"

10:47:38, Jul 12th 2014

Relax, it's politics says:
Funny, I read the article and Mr. Mensink never once slandered anybody. He asked questions. Then people post comments and say grow up, get over it, then turn around and make fun of people. Very productive. It is good for debates to happen and have people ask questions, it is not good to have personal attacks on either side. If the council has done everything right, then who cares he asks questions. If they didn't, they should answer his questions and just explain what happen, show him the information they have to back up there story and be done. Everybody talks about protecting the city from lawsuits, the rules and laws and attorney protect the city from lawsuits, not a vote of no confidence. People in life don't agree on everything, let Mr. Mensink ask questions, let the council ask questions, have the city attorney there. Then both parties can move on. I think everyone is taking it personal, but it is the cities business, and the publics right to know. Stop the personal attacks, but both sides keep asking questions, just remember it is at the council meeting, after the meeting is over, realize that it is not personal, just business.

11:37:02, Jul 12th 2014

Get over it returns says:
Okay yes I do want to point out that Mr Rowe indeed did flip off MS Larson on the street I saw it. However I was wrong in how I presented my thread my apologies there, as all this stuff is gone beyond ridiculousness. It is all over Lyman's resignation, had he not resigned, none of this would be happening. As sirens said the slander isn't or wasn't from Brody Mensink, it was from the actions certain residents are portraying to the council members on the street. I know several times the council gave Lyman informal warnings to watch how he was operating. In the end he chose to just resign on the spot rather than ask how the council would like to proceed in making things work. The Mayor oversees the council but really has no executive power over the council as the Mayor is a council member them self.

12:29:22, Jul 12th 2014

@get over it says:
That is the point he was trying to make at the council meeting. Informal warning? Is there informal votes happening? Why do anything off the record, if it is that serious do it at the meeting so the public knows what is happening. Not in secret, if all the warnings happen at the meeting so the council could say, we warned you numerous times and this is still happening, but they didn't. Show the emails from the League and attorney. Why be so secretive if everything is legit?

12:41:38, Jul 12th 2014

Get over it returns says:

1:15:24, Jul 12th 2014

@get over it says:
Yes a lot of this probably stemmed from the resignation. And now this comes out, and perfect, the council just needs to show the minutes where they warned him, show the emails from the league and attorney, show that names aren't public information for job applicants and bam, in ten minutes they could prove Mr Mensink wrong. Why don't they just show it and be done?

5:15:43, Jul 12th 2014

concerned says:
This is LeRoy Rowe and I want everyone to know that I did not and would not flip off a council member. The person who said I did this terrible thing to Ms. Larsen needs to come talk to me because they have a mistaken identity problem. I am hurt by this accusation and would like the person to apologize to me and this paper for the slander. I have lived in Wykoff most of my life, owned two businesses, worked for the Bank and was a Council member for many years. I respect the role they do. It is not in my nature to do what you accused me of. If I disagree with what decisions are made, I would talk to you in person, not flip you off. This is my first writing on this site and hope I do not have to write again!

6:31:22, Jul 12th 2014

Brody Mensink says:
Leroy, for some reason me asking questions at the council meeting equated to people bad mouthing you, me, and others. Everyone that knows you, knows that would never happen. I do want to apologize to you and all the other citizens in this town that are being slandered because I asked questions at a city council meeting.

Brody Mensink

7:00:20, Jul 12th 2014

Ya right! says:
Ya right, I am going to guess that after you saw Leroy Rowe flipping anybody off you seen Elvis riding an elephant. Get back on your meds please for the safety of others.

9:24:12, Jul 12th 2014

No way says:
No way Leroy flipped someone off, I would say everyone in town knows the truth about that statement. Sad it was even said though, try to drag another citizen through the mud for no reason.

9:42:36, Jul 13th 2014

@ sirens says:
Mr Mensink asked questions, a lot of which have yet to be answered. Let's wait for the outcome before we become so judgmental. Being judgmental before the facts have come out is why the city is in this position in the first place. He asked questions of a public office, maybe we should wait for answers before we take sides. I could care less what happens but if he is wrong about public information of job applicants and other things it will come out, and dis credit his concerns.If he is right, that will come out too and verify his concerns.

10:15:22, Jul 13th 2014

@Brody Mensink says:
Please know that you asking questions at the city council meeting is not the reason of the the comment of Leroy Rowe being said. This has been a topic throughout the community shortly ( within days) of Mr.Hare resigning.

10:35:42, Jul 13th 2014

THE END says:

11:20:18, Jul 13th 2014

Still no facts says:
I have kept noticing that there every time something is posted against this article, there are no facts. Assumptions and rude comments against families are great for an article like this, more attention for the article, bringing more people to read facts, and also more people to read jibberish that still does not answer any questions. What would be even better, is if somebody posted information that just answered the questions he asked.

8:25:56, Jul 14th 2014

Brody Mensink says:
"I truly wished Mr. Mensink was doing this genuinely. Wanting to learn and help and be part of this community instead of being urged and instigated by the Hare fan club. Which I would have to say is very small a few select families and one of our local law enforcement agents. As can clearly be seen who these people are through the traffic coming and going from that end of town. . Why all of a sudden Mr. Mensink? Maybe you should have been this concerned when your family friend was the Mayor and you could have helped him interpret the rules and he wouldn't have been in the position he put himself in."

Genuinely? I put my name in for the council seat. If I didn't want to help and be part of this community, why would I do that? Why all of the sudden you ask? - I read the meeting minutes monthly to try to stay informed, I didn't see anything in there talking about these issues before, so myself, along with others in the community weren't aware of these issues. (That was mentioned in the article). "As can clearly be seen who these people are through the traffic coming and going from that end of town" Thank you for helping watch over the community of Wykoff, myself, along with many others appreciate this to help prevent crime and keep an eye out for one another. That is what being part of a small community is all about.

Thank you for your questions and comments.

Brody Mensink

9:04:12, Jul 14th 2014

Karma has struck says:
Brody I commend you for all your hard work and time spent on this issue. Leroy I am saddened you were called out so shamelessly. Be assured it is not just the Hare "fan club" talking, The City is talking/laughing at this Council. You say Lyman was not asked to resign,, Was it just meant
to be a public embarrassment perhaps. Have you Council members given any thought of resigning for such shameless behavior. Perhaps poor Wykoff needs a complete new council. Please for everyone's sake consider this. We are certainly giving a very large audience something to talk about.

9:22:13, Jul 14th 2014

New Resident says:
The amount of time Larson is spending in here should be spent on the community education programs she is responsible for. I'm not saying it needs to be her full time job, but for crying out loud, can you think of some summer programs for kids. You have kids, don't you want them occupied with youth growth programs this summer. I don't see any flyers down town for eagle bluff or even the Preston swimming programs or Spring Valley's. The town I moved from had programs all summer for kids, the best I have seen for this town is provided by Fillmore. I don't think that this Mr. Mensink wanted all of this attention, but I'm glad he cares about us as residents and did. Ms. Larson, you are the one that voted no confidence, really no confidence. The next 3 months will tell.

10:02:26, Jul 15th 2014

@new resident says:
Community education and community rec 2 different things. Please stop with personal attacks as they have only created horrible situations for much of our community and children of the community. It's time to get positive and trudge forward and begin to prosper and grow.

1:51:00, Jul 15th 2014

Rochester Resident says:
Thank You Mr. Mensink.... Don't matter who's friends with who your gonna stick by your friends even if you don't know the whole story. You all have skelitons in your closets and your closes friends don't even know about them.
Y'all just grow up and move.

8:44:09, Jul 20th 2014

@ new resident says:
Wykoff has a summer softball league for youths ages 5-18 and they have several teams. Unfortunately over the past few years it has become a place for SV kids to come and play with SV coaches. They are welcomed don't get me wrong but since then Wykoff kids sit on the bench unless they go to Saint John's school :( But otherwise, it is a pretty small town so there isn't a lot to offer. SV park & rec doesn't play nice with Wykoff people and they make them pay extra to participate in anything. As for Preston, don't know what they offer. Just wanted to let you know about softball and explain though.

3:58:48, Oct 24th 2014

Remember says:
Please remember this Wykoff voters. You may also be interested in knowing that Mr. Mensink recieved a letter from the city with all of the information he requested after he was repeatedly told he could not have it. Of course the city does not want to tell you that. I talked to Mr. Mensink the other day and he has a copy of the letter for anyone who wants to see it. He also informed me he was not moving out of town, even though Mike Holzer is telling people he is.