Lots of things have changed since the pandemic started. Alcohol sales have gone up 141%. Online sales of pajamas have gone up 143% . Sales of bras and long pants have gone way down. You can draw your own conclusions from this information. Having plenty of time at home, I made this list to get myself organized before the world opens up again.
To Do List
1. Organize my over 200 volume book collection
2. Clean and organize all my closets
3. Scour bathrooms until they gleam
4. Polish my three chests of vintage silverware
5. Start a new exercise regimen
6. Try all recipes that I have collected in 20 folders over the years
7. Take up quilting
8. Take up photography and take pictures of my rock garden and flower beds
9. Write a novel or at least a children’s book which my husband can illustrate
10. Learn gourmet garnishing
11. Take painting classes (Grandma Moses started at age 80)
12. Read both volumes of The Rise and Fall of the Ancient Empire, a book my mother gave me over 20 years ago
13. Clean and organize my walk-in attic before the floor caves in from too much weight
14. Improve my technology skills
15. Create hand made cards with pressed and dried flowers and send them to everyone I know with a handwritten letter included
When I was working, I always said that when I retired I would get organized and accomplish great things. After I retired, I said if only I were younger I would be very productive. Procrastination is my middle name. At least I finished this column on time. I can’t wait for fresh tomatoes and green beans to try this recipe!
Green bean and tomato soup
(makes 8 1 cup servings)
Chop one onion and one carrot. Heat 1/4 cup of sun dried tomato vinaigrette dressing in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, cut and trim 1/2 pound fresh green beans into 1 inch lengths. Place them in a microwave bowl. Add 2 tsp. water and cover with waxed paper. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Chop 2 tomatoes. Add to onion mix and stir. Add beans and 2 tsp. Wylers instant chicken flavored powder and 3/4 tsp each of dried Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Stir in 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.